VEDGEREE RECIPE - LUCY JOHNSON
Serving for 4 people
400g Swede lox, 1 Large onion – sliced, 3 Garlic cloves – crushed, 200g Basmati rice, 100g Bulgur wheat, 2 tsp Curry powder, 1 tsp Ground turmeric, 1 tsp Ground coriander, 2 Bay leaves, 400g Firm tofu – drained and pressed, 600ml Porcini stock (the water from about 10g dried porcini mushrooms soaked in hot water for about 20 minutes), Tofu spice mix – 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp asafoetida (only if you have), 1 tbsp nutritional yeast, 1/2 tsp ground turmeric, fresh parsley chopped for garnish (add chopped stems in with the onions for extra flavour), 1 Lemon
1. Cook onion in oil in a heavy based pan for about 10 minutes, then add in garlic and cook for an extra 5 minutes (or until cooked).
2. Add curry powder, ground turmeric, ground coriander and a pinch of salt. Stir until fully coated.
3. Add the rice and bulgur wheat to the pan. Fry for a minute.
4. Add the porcini stock. Bring to the boil and then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Take off the heat and leave to stand covered for 10-15 minutes.
6. Whilst waiting, cook the tofu. Heat up a dash of oil in a frying pan and tear up bits of the tofu into the pan. Then add the spices and fry until they fully coat the tofu.
7. Add the swede lox into the pan just to reheat. Once it is all hot, leave aside and add to the rice dish just before serving.
8. Sprinkle the parsley on top and serve with lemon wedges
Top Tip: When cooking you need to ensure the grains have enough liquid to cook in, so top up with stock as necessary.
Lox? What's that then? See this link for instructions.
This recipe has kindly been submitted by Lucy Johnson, a professional vegan chef.
For more info on her work,
see click on the link below: